Monday, March 30, 2009
Interesting Travel Wisdom For European Backpackers
Below is a list of various travel advice tidbits I've gathered from my reading around the web in preparation for my own trip. Many thanks to their authors.

  • "The must sees: ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FOR EVERY PERSON. Seriously. I loved Paris, but loved Prague just as much. Or Venice. Or Interlaken."
  • "Don't stress out. When I first started, I was so worried about being late, people losing my reservation, places being booked out, people not helping, and so on. Everything always works out in the end, so stop stressing, relax and enjoy yourself. You're train is moving in the wrong direction? That's funny! You're on a holiday, after all - it doesn't really matter where you end up."

  • "Backpacker Rule #10: Don’t check the time on the ticket. Let yourself miss a train. Some of the most memorable things can’t be planned."
  • "Backpacker Rule #14: Today’s miseries are tomorrow’s memories."
  • "Backpacker Rule #18: Reclining seats on overnight trains are for masochists."
  • "Backpacker Rule #19: There is no place that you HAVE to be."
  • "Backpacker Rule #20: Drink and be merry!"

Found at Art of Travel:
  • "Travel is not about getting from point A to point B. At best that's tourism--at worst transportation--across a more or less sterile landscape. Real travel is about soaking up the local flavor, getting a sense of other people's lives, and their history"
  • "...if you perceive the world as a friendly, hopeful place, and act accordingly, you are likely to have more interesting experiences than someone who carefully measures his distance from the world, who regards minding his own business as meaningful art."
  • "Traveler Accepts and adjusts to local culture. Tourist Makes local culture meet his or her needs.

posted by Michael at 3:40 PM -
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Where am I?

The trip is over, and I'm back in the USA planning my next adventure!

 

Top Posts

My Itinerary!

 

Credits



www.eurailblog.com

 

Follow me on